The University of Michigan Debate Program is committed to student learning and development via participation in intercollegiate collegiate debate. Through our varsity traveling team, summer national high school debate institute, urban debate outreach efforts in Detroit, and hosting of a national high school debate tournament, we facilitate and enrich the educational experience of current and potential future students.
Why give to UM Debate?
Your contributions to UM Debate will ensure we to continue to have one of the top collegiate debate programs in the country. Our most immediate goal is to have the number one debate program in the country and your giving can go a long way toward making this a reality. Our debate team and summer program competes against other top colleges and universities from around the country and your support will ensure we have all the tools necessary to be competitive and successful.
Why does UM Debate need my support EVERY year?
While endowment funds are earmarked both in how they can be used and when, Annual Gifts are funds that UM Debate can use immediately and where needed most. Each academic year, the University faces unexpected challenges. Annual Gifts from donors like you are vital to ensure our ability to overcome obstacles and maintain the Michigan difference.
Areas of need that your donation could support:
A gift of any size to this Gift Fund, or any of the following five areas, will lend further support to the mission of the University of Michigan Debate Program:
- Scholarships for incoming UM Debaters Scholarships could make the difference on whether a top
high school debater attends UM or a competitor school. Recruiting the top high school debaters to UM
is essential to having the number one program in the country.
- Scholarships for UM Debate Campers Getting the top high school debaters to Ann Arbor for seven
weeks each summer increases the chance they will apply to and possibly attend UM for college. The
race to get the top high school seniors at camp has become very competitive and providing scholarships
helps level this playing field.
- Technology As college debate continues to evolve, expensive technology is playing an integral role.
Each debate team is now issued a laptop computer they use during debates. The video recording of
debates is very popular and we would like each team to have their own camcorder. The team currently
has one portable MiFi internet device for tournaments, but would like to purchase several more.
- Urban Debate We strongly support local and national efforts to promote urban debate. Many of our
debaters travel to Detroit weekly to teach debate inside numerous Detroit public high schools. UM
Debate provides camp tuition discounts to numerous urban debaters each summer and reduces or
waives fees for urban debate teams that compete at our annual high school tournament.
- UM High School Debate Tournament This year is the 17th anniversary of the tournament, which is held the first weekend of November each year on campus. We are expecting to host 700 high school debaters, coaches, judges, and parents this year. This event is a great way to promote the University, UM Debate, and our summer camp. Your donation in this area will go toward room costs, hired judging, and other hosting expenses.
How does U-M solicit for gifts?
Alumni and friends are contacted via mail, email, and Telefund, U-M's student telephone fundraising program. Michigan is a big place, so you may be contacted by the general Annual Giving office or by someone at a school, college, or unit on campus. As a whole, we strive to make giving to the University and allocating your gift to the area you wish as simple as possible. So when you are contacted remember you can support student life no matter who reaches out to you.
There are many ways you can give to UM Debate:
- Annual Giving - A fund that is put to use where most needed within a fiscal year.
- Outright Gifts - Gifts of cash, securities or "gifts in kind" make an immediate impact. Gifts in kind
include artwork, books and equipment that may be useful to UM Debate.
- Planned Giving - A giving strategy that allows you to make a meaningful charitable contribution while
possibly enhancing you and your family's future financial well-being.
- Bequests - One of the simplest ways to give, you can leave a gift from your estate within your will.
We have provided information on how you can make your gift below. In addition, please feel free to call us anytime if you need assistance.
- Online giving - Use our simple and secure online form to make a gift right now using your credit card.
- Cash, Securities, Gifts in Kind - Find out how to give by mail, transfer or payroll deduction.
Discover the advantages of gifts of securities and the opportunity for gifts in kind here:
- Matching Gifts - Take an extra moment to see whether your employer will leverage your giving with a
matching contribution: http://www.giving.umich.edu/guide/index.php?page=matching
We're passionate about connecting donors with Michigan. We welcome questions about Annual Giving and hearing from you about your reason for participating. If there's something specific you'd like to support and you don't see it on our communications, please contact us. We'll help you get your donation to the right place.
To speak to us about giving opportunities please contact:
Division of Student Affairs
Student Affairs Office of Development
Student Affairs - Office of Development
9027 Wolverine Tower
3003 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288
Phone: (734) 647-7309
Fax: (734) 647-6100