The Michigan Debate Institutes
June 17-August 4, 2012
Arrival and Departure Times and Dates
Students should arrive on the University of Michigan campus between 12:00 noon and 6:00 p.m. on your Arrival Date and depart the Residence Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on your departure date.
|Arrival Date||Departure Date|
|MNDI||June 17||July 7|
|MNDI/Extension week||June 17||July 14|
|Michigan Classic||July 8||August 4|
|Seven Week||June 17||August 4|
The Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) is 20 miles east of Ann Arbor and 20 miles west of Detroit. A cab ride from the airport to the residence hall would cost about $50. See the FAQ section for more suggestions for airport transportation.
The Institute fee includes the University of Michigan meal plan from the first Monday through the last Friday. The meal program includes a lunch and dinner every day except Sunday when only a mid-day brunch is served. These meals are all-you-can-eat buffet style. There are many nearby grocery stores and take-out restaurants where students can purchase inexpensive meals at any time, including breakfast.
Students will generally be housed in double occupancy dorm rooms. Students must bring their own linens and toiletries such as soap, laundry detergent, pillow cases, sheets, towels, etc. Students are responsible for the condition of their rooms. Return of the security deposit ($50.00) is contingent upon approval of the condition of their room and nearby common areas by the Residence Staff.
It is extremely important that each student coming to the Michigan Debate Institutes have official picture identification. In the past students without proper identification have had great difficulty cashing travelers checks and personal checks from home.
Mail Sent to Students During the Institute
Do not mail to the general Institute address. Students will receive mail only at this address:
To send your Child Mail During the Camps (DO NOT USE the Michigan Union Address)
Mail and Packages should be addressed as follows:
Name of Student
Michigan Debate Institutes
Each room will have a phone which can receive calls. Students may also use this phone to call other rooms and university numbers. Students will not be able to place calls charged to their phones, but can place credit card or collect long distance calls.
The Institute Fee covers all tuition, room, the University meal plan, and lab fees. Students may need a small amount of additional money for the following items:
- Security Deposit. A security deposit of $50.00 is required upon arrival. It will be refunded at the time of departure after the condition of the student's room and common areas are approved. Please write a separate check for this deposit.
- Laundry. Wash loads cost $1.25 and dryer loads cost $1.
- Debate Supplies. Supplies are available all around campus, including Ulrich's Bookstore
- Entertainment/Off campus meals. Students may want an occasional break from the dormitory meals and debate work. A "night on the town" in Ann Arbor will usually cost around $20.00. Late night pizza and other food deliveries are a common extra expense.
- Refrigerators are available at the student's option for the dorm rooms.
SHOULD I BRING....???
Recreational equipment such as softball gloves a basketball, frisby etc., can be useful.
A laptop. Students will have generous access to Univeristy computing facilities. If you bring a laptop, please understand that we can not accept any liability for damage or theft.